Larnaca is suitable for cycling, for a number of factors including the morphology of its soil, its good climate almost all year round, and the variety it has in attractions and reference points.
These routes are posted on the website of Larnaca Tourism Board at the link http://larnakaregion.com/page/thematic-cycling-routes and in the electronic application komoot which is a popular program for cyclists.
The way the routes are presented is very informative and includes the proposed paths on the map, distances, altitude differences, degree of difficulty, the type of bike recommended to use as well as the various points of interest that each route covers.
The eight Thematic Cycling Routes of Larnaca are the following:
- "Neolithic Route - The oldest cycling route in Europe", focusing on the antiquities of Choirokoitia and Kalavasos.
- "Wine and Gastronomy Route" that covers the picturesque villages in the mountainous province of Larnaca such as Lefkara, Kato Drys, Skarinou and Hoirokoitia.
- "Multicultural Route" which includes visits to various places of worship of different religions within the city.
- "Venetian Towers-East Coastal Area" which covers the communities of Pyla and Xylofagou.
- "Venetian Towers-West Coastal Area" which includes the areas of Pervolia and Kiti up to Alamino.
- "Route of Camels and Donkeys," with suggested visits to the Mazotou Camel Park and the Golden Donkeys farm-complex in Skarinou.
- "Route of Cereals and Bread" focusing on Athienou and its interesting reference points such as the Kallinikeio Museum and the traditional flour mill.
- "Birdwatching Route," which covers the route from Lake Voroklini to Aliki Larnaca.